Friday, June 17, 2011

Controversy (and New Releases) is good.

Hmm... him the recent relaese of the DCC RPG Beta and the Grindhouse Edition of the LOTFP WFRPG sure boosted the number of pageviews this blog got for a few days. I typically get 40-160 page views a day and then all of a sudden blam 400-650 page-views a day for a week. A lot of the traffic was hitting old posts too with new posts getting fairly typical hit counts.

So I've got to assume controversy and new releases are good for blog traffic at large. I got a few new followers of this blog and I know I added on a couple of blogs I've failed to note in the past to those I follow myself. More voices and more eyes is a pretty good result from recent events if you ask me.


Thank you everyone for reading and commenting. Any of my older posts you've peeked at lately that you thought were cool or annoying? Drop a comment with the original post. I love feedback even from those who fail to note my sparkling brilliance.

13 comments:

  1. Does seem to have generated a wave of comments and views, doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bloggers beyond the OSR saw an increase too so the controversy may not be a reason. I like the idea it was nervous activity pre-blood moon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe there'd be less controversy if you weren't such a notorious kicker of puppies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those puppies deserved it, Christian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just as long as you aint kickin' kittens. Yep, doubled my traffic too.

    edit: word verification "catstab" - ack!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find the idea of labeling the discussion around these two games as "controversial" rather humorous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish everyone would just shut up about it as my blog traffic is down because I'm not participating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and by the way, I don't just kick kittens, I kick Himalayan Snow Leopard kittens.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't figure any of you people out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If anytihng I've had less traffic, but I haven't been mixing it up on those posts so much. In fact I usually I see a dip when there is alot of blah blah blah on a couple of blogs. Maybe this particular dustup is more widespread than some of the others have been, or pulled in more gawkers due to the "Something Awful" posts?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I second what Porky said. I first noticed non-RPG bloggers reporting that their stats were about five times higher than typical right after the huge outage was fixed. I've noticed mine are five times higher than before for the last couple weeks... and when I compare the total page views for the past 24 hours to the total *of* the pageviews for the top ten pages, there's again a five-to-one discrepancy. So unless 400 pages on my blogger are getting viewed one time each so that they never make it to the top ten, something's screwy.

    I also use Google Analytics, which supposedly counts stats a little differently and will report slight discrepancies, but again there's a five-to-one discrepancy between Blogger stats and Analytics. The Analytics numbers are close to what my typical traffic was before the outage, so I trust them more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Talysman, I can totally believe there is something funky going on with blogger stats. I have gotten 12 responses here and half my daily page-views on this post.

    ReplyDelete